Thursday, March 23, 2006

Long Time No Blog!

I haven't posted in what seems like years, so I could very well be writing this to no one by now. No matter. I will persevere.

Much knitting has happened in the last month or so. I finished my Manos sweater (blurry photo below), but haven't quite figured out how to close it. I was opposed to using buttons, so I was closing it with a kilt pin but it kept snagging on my babies when I picked them up. I ended up using a pin my aunt gave me that's a metal pea pod with pearl peas. It works perfectly.



I took a little business trip to San Francisco, which was quite inspiring. My hotel was not far from the Lotta Jansdotter store, which as you can see was surprisingly nondescript.



And quite to my dismay it was also…



Extreme disappointment. I must go again when it is open. When? How? Sometime. Somehow.

Not far from my hotel in SF was an interesting retail slash creative concept slash business. It was called Craft Gym.




It was closed when I walked by early one morning, but they have a huge loom you can see through the window and a variety of sinks and work tables and shelves with craft supplies on them. Everything you need for an invigorating craft workout.

Speaking of workouts, here's me casting on for the knitting olympics:



My project was a blue, garter-stitch cardigan sweater with pockets and an i-cord binding. I did not finish it by the closing ceremonies. And that is because I changed the rules to the knitting olympics and decided to cast on for a new project every night of the olympics rather than complete anything. I didn't wholly succeed at this, either, but I did do a lot of knitting. None of which I can remember at the moment, but perhaps I'll try to recall these projects and photograph them in the light of day. However, I can make no promises.

Now I am in a post-olympic knitting rut. I did finish the olympic cardigan (as I always say, photos to come), but I have not finished the endless socks I've been working on since late January (wouldn't you like a photo of these?). I am now not working on anything I like. So I'm starting a pair of socks from Leigh Radford's new book, One Skein Knitting. I'm doing the cabled footies. I am also going to start a new sweater using some beautiful green Araucania Nature Wool. I knit two gauge swatches—one in stockinette and one in garter—and they're drying as we speak. Building on the "success" of my Manos sweater, I am going to attempt another sweater for myself of my own design. It will be a cardigan with a tie at the neck due to my button and buttonhole aversion.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joe in Korea said...

Hey Lady,

Glad to see you back on line. I haven't been able to get my knitting fix (vicariously) for a few months.

Hope you are well.
cousin joe

9:06 AM  
Blogger Nathalie said...

I am also glad to see you are still here! Your no longer secret sock pal

5:24 PM  
Blogger Zone8 Gardener said...

I miss seeing new things... say hi once and awhile...

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home