Thursday, December 29, 2005

Christmas Roundup



So here's what I've been knitting for the last several weeks (minus some of the things I sent off and forgot to photograph—stay tuned for those images later). First we have the bear-iffic fuzzy feet. These were knit in Lamb's Pride bulky and when I took them out of the washer it was as though a fuzzy wild animal had gotten into the load and lost its feet. These really got hairy. It was quite horrifying. Plus they were way too big. I worked on them some more by washing them another time, then boiling them in my giant stewpot (which is pretty much exclusively used for boiling fuzzy feet). I got them down to a reasonable size and then did the embroidery. Cute, yes? They seem very Scandinavian to me. Tomorrow my friend is coming down from Seattle and I plan to give them to her as a belated Christmas gift. If I can part with them. I have been wearing them—ostensibly to shape them, but really because I love them. Must knit pair for self.




Next we have a modified cabled newsboy cap in Manos blue rainbow neutral, the most fabulous color/non-color/everycolor known to knitting man/woman/child/manchild. I knit this for someone who admired my by-the-book cabled newsboy cap. She offered to pay me to knit one for her, which was preposterous of course. I knit it as a learning experience and it worked out great. I did the brim and doubled it over so it keeps its shape but it's soft instead of stiff. I have plastic mesh in the brim of mine and I find it annoying.



And then we have my second attempt at a felted ballet slipper. The first one is simply too ugly to photograph. This slipper has a long way to go before it's working, but I'm excited about it. I'm going to knit the second one, felt it, then get to work on boiling and felting and whatever else I have to do to get them the same size (and a bit smaller). I also need to knit a thick strap to go over the upper. This will be the touch that really sells you on these slippers. Just you wait.

2 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

oh how i wish i had a washer to felt fuzzy feet! the embroidery is a wonderful touch.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

I am the friend from Seattle who received the fuzzy bear slippers as a belated Christmas gift and I'd just like to say I have been wearing them day and night and I LOVE THEM very very much. In fact, I have been taking them to chilly friend's homes and to a breathing/meditation class. I really can't live without them so thank you, papergirl.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home